Health Tip: Drink 16 oz of water upon waking
About one month ago I made a simple change to my morning routine and it has made a difference in a few areas.
Before consuming anything (even my coffee), I drink about 16 oz of water.
I love a morning coffee, but when I made the switch from starting my day with coffee to water, I noticed changes and I want to share it with you.
There are a few benefits to drinking water first thing in the morning, but I had made the change when I discovered the positive impacts it has on the brain. Most places that list benefits to drinking water exclude one of the most important organs we have, but it’s worth mentioning.
- Fuels your brain. Our brain is made up of over 70% water. Hydrating supports optimal brain activity. It also supports blood & muscle cell production.
- Colon cleansing. Drinking water on an empty stomach helps clean out the colon which supports nutrient absorption.
- Flushes toxins. While you sleep, your body heals itself by restoring energy and balancing hormones, which releases toxins and waste materials. Drinking water as soon as you wake up assists in releasing the build-up.
- Speeds up metabolism. Drinking water first thing in the morning kicks your metabolism into gear.
- Balance lymph system. These glands play a major role in your immune system and impact your hormonal balance. The lymph consists of 96% water. Dehydration can cause toxin build-up that prevents optimal toxin elimination, which can cause fatigue and headache, among other things.
- Clearer skin. Dehydration can cause premature wrinkles and deeper pores.